nubia Red Magic 6R – It’s only been three months since the introduction of the nubia Red Magic 6, and we’re already receiving a new version of the gaming-focused flagship – the nubia Red Magic 6R. This new (R)acing model is aimed at the general public, with more elegant styling, a smaller and lighter body, and a better selfie camera.
We know the Red Magic 6R will maintain the excellent gaming package that the previous model had, so we’re in for a treat.
The easy-on-the-eyes design of the nubia Red Magic 6R is the first thing that everyone will notice. The bright hues have been replaced with sleek silver or black paint with just the most basic ornamental features. The built-in fan has been removed, resulting in a slimmer and lighter design. Let’s hope the new passive cooling system can handle the heat.
While the screen is still an AMOLED with 10-bit color support, it now has a refresh rate of 144Hz, down from 165Hz. We’re not sure whether this is a loss because just a few games supported the very high refresh rate anyhow.
The Snapdragon 888 5G chip is still present in the Red Magic 6R. Pressure-sensitive triggers with a frequency of 400Hz are here to stay. Unfortunately, the Red Magic 6R’s top speaker is missing, and it lacks a 3.5mm audio connection.
The 64MP primary and 8MP ultrawide cameras are the same as on the Red Magic 6, but they now get a superior 5MP macro and a 2MP depth sensor as companions. The selfie camera, which was formerly 8MP, has been upgraded to 16MP.
Finally, the Red Magic 6R smaller design allows for a smaller battery, which is now a 4,200mAh cell with 30W charging for worldwide units and 55W charging for Chinese devices. The Red Magic 6 has a 5,050mAh battery that could be charged in 66 seconds. Of course, we’ll go over these in greater detail in our battery and charging chapters.
ZTE nubia Red Magic 6R specs
- Body: 163.0×75.3×7.8mm, 186g; Gorilla Glass 3 front, aluminum frame, glass back; Pressure sensitive zones (400Hz touch-sensing).
- Display: 6.67″ AMOLED, 1B colors, 144Hz, 770 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Memory: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 11, Redmagic 4.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.0, 120˚, 13mm, 1/4.0″, 1.12µm; Macro: 5 MP; Depth: 2 MP.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f/1.8, (wide).
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 4200mAh; Fast charging 55W – China, Fast charging 30W – Global, Power Delivery 3.0, Quick Charge 4.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical).
The Red Magic 6R, like the Red Magic 6, is not water-resistant. It also lacks a slot for a microSD card.
The Red Magic 6R should be compatible with the Ice Dock RGB cooler and the E-Sports Handle, according to the official website, which is a good thing if you want to get the most out of your gaming phone.
The nubia Red Magic 6R unboxing
The Red Magic 6R is housed in a stunning black box. The phone, a red USB cord, a 30W power brick, and a red 3.5mm-to-USB-C converter are all included in the box.
A clear silicone casing and some documents are kept in the paper section.