Sony Xperia 10 III – You don’t mess about with a successful formula, do you? We don’t have the stats to determine how popular the Xperia 10 II was, but it must have been a hit because Sony hasn’t made many changes to the Xperia 10 III we have today.
Of course, the few places that have been improved are significant. While not a powerhouse in terms of itself, the Snapdragon 690 within the new model is far more powerful and, at the very least, more competitive against the competition. Thanks to the upgraded chipset, 5G compatibility is now included in the bundle.
Another positive development is a large boost in battery capacity to 4,500mAh (up from 3,600mAh last year). Although this adds some weight, the Mk 3 remains one of the most pocketable handsets at 169g.
Less noticeable improvements include an increase in RAM to 6GB (from 4GB) and the addition of HDR capability to the otherwise same 6-inch OLED display. Unfortunately, it’s still a 60Hz panel, which, regardless of market position, isn’t really stylish.
The most essential feature that has been carried over is the IP65/68 designation for dust and water resistance, which is a rarity in the midrange and truly sets the Xperia 10 III apart. For the price, the Gorilla Glass 6 sandwich is also hardly a certainty. Here’s a breakdown of the most important specifications.
Sony Xperia 10 III specs at a glance
- Body: 154.0×68.0x8.3mm, 169g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 6), glass back (Gorilla Glass 6), plastic frame; IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins).
- Display: 6.0″ OLED, HDR, 1080x2520px resolution, 21:9 aspect ratio, 457ppi; Triluminos display.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM6350 Snapdragon 690 5G (8 nm): Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Kryo 560 Gold & 6×1.7 GHz Kryo 560 Silver); Adreno 619.
- Memory: 128GB 6GB RAM; UFS; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software: Android 11.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 12 MP, f/1.8, 27mm, 1/2.8″, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 16mm, 1/4.0″; Telephoto: 8 MP, f/2.4, 54mm, 1/4.0″, PDAF, 2x optical zoom.
- Front camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4.0″.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Fast charging 30W, Quick Charge, USB Power Delivery.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; 3.5mm jack.
Sony Xperia 10 III unboxing
Our Xperia 10 III review device arrived in the same white package that Sony has been using for some years. It it came with the barest of accessories: a charger and a USB wire.
The charger is rated at 7.5 watts, which is a low amount we haven’t seen in a long time. The phone supports USB PowerDelivery and will benefit from a higher-powered adapter, such as the company’s own 30-watt XQZ-UC1, but it wasn’t included with our review unit. It’s possible that retail units may be outfitted differently. Additionally, Sony has been known to change the contents of packages from one country to the next, so there may be some regional differences.
To sweeten the bargain, Sony is throwing in a set of WH-CH710N noise-canceling headphones with every Xperia 10 III purchase until June 30. The headphones have an MSRP of €150, although they usually sell for approximately €90 – still an excellent deal in our opinion.